Welcome
Welcome to Schizotypal Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. Schizotypal Forum is a community and a place to discuss all kinds of things, including issues related to Schizotypal Personality Disorder. People with other disorders within the schizophrenic spectrum are also very welcome. Please join our community today.

What is it like for you to "feel good"?

Schizotypals are a mindful bunch. Join in the astral wanderings...

What is it like for you to "feel good"?

Postby Always_Question » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:38 am

I don't think I "feel good" like others do. Others, without mental illness, look to have uplifted spirits and a smile and all that. But, there are times when I think, "Hey, I am feeling pretty good today."

I am pretty sure for me, "feeling good" is just the absence of anxiety, but I don't think there is anything else to it for me. Can anyone give feedback on if this sounds like how someone without a mental illness would perceive "feeling good" or is it more likely a part of SPD?

Also, I would like to hear other descriptions about "feeling good", since I get the impression that at least some days are better than others for many people here.
If my post does not make sense, is too vague, or incoherent, ask for clarification if it would be helpful.

Dx's: Schizoaffective Disorder, Schizotypal PD, Boarderline traits, and Anxiety disorders
Rx: Gabapentin and Clonazepam.
Always_Question

Re: What is it like for you to "feel good"?

Postby BenevoletAzdrubal » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:32 am

Good question. I too feel "feeling good" as the absence of anxiety. I think I'm much more aware of my surroundings/contexts than my friends (to some extent, I can't ignore "stuff" that my friends know instinctively is irrelevant), and having to think about all the data I get in touch with is exhausting... I don't think my friends have this "mechanism" inside their minds and, without it, they can embrace whatever emotions more fluently/organically as part of their brains is more idle. So, maybe the full answer should say "our connections to our emotions are not as good as other peoples and, as 'feeling good' is an emotion, we can only feel as good as our ability to connect to our emotions permit. Having said that, we usually confound not-being-anxious with feeling-good because when we're not anxious we feel decompressed, which is pretty good (specially when compared to the first alternative).

In the past, I have asked my friends about how they usually feel (not about being happy or not, but how they feel most of the time). The answers usually say "I don't know", "I just feel right/good right now" and " I never had the urge to think about it". Maybe my friends are ignorant, or maybe ignorance truly is a bliss. I don't know.
BenevoletAzdrubal

Postby immortalitylost » Sun May 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Just saw this so I decided to give it a go, even though it's an old post.

And I haven't been diagnosed with anything, though I'm almost certain you won't get a relatively normal person's opinion from me.

I agree with you and the previous poster about the anxiety thing. That's a big part of feeling good for me. There's the physical aspect as well, for me when I'm feeling good I feel comfortable in my own skin. But that's linked to the anxiety thing as well I think... hmmm...

It's kind of like a boost of energy as well, like for a little while all is right in the world (because I'm not noticing the wrong) and I can get things done just like that, with zero effort, and everything is just easier and clearer and better. Everything's just right. People aren't this big group of vaguely threatening others to me, just people. The whole world kinda makes sense, or like somehow I'm a part of it, like somehow I got a day's free trial of the manual everyone else got at birth. It kind of makes me sad, because I have days like that, and I think, this is what other people must have all the time, and I know I'll only have it for a little while.

But I'd say it's still worth it.

Now I'm just as curious as you as to what other people mean when they say they're feeling good... damn. ;)
"I learn a great deal by merely observing you, and letting you talk as long as you please, and taking note of what you do not say."
immortalitylost

Postby medusa » Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 pm

I'm not diagnosed but for me it does feel like the absence of anxiety feels good. Yet I can often feel the anxiety coming, it then builds up, reaches a maximum point and then recedes again.
The times when I feel good, feel great though. More optimistic, able to enjoy things more, feeling better about myself and who I am and the part I play in the world.

I maybe wouldn't agree that other have it like that all the time.

If you say that it feels like you have a manual for a day, would you say that your anxiety is mainly driven because you would not have this manual? and then is the manual which is not in keeping your personality?
medusa

Postby MadCurio » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:07 am

I think that the way others feel every day is the way I feel when I'm slightly drunk or tipsy. I figured that out because when I'm tipsy, my *behavior* changes to match the behavior of others around me ... so I'm assuming they feel that way all the time. How does it feel? It feels like freedom.! It feels like all of a sudden I care about the environment and am curious about everyone around me, and I have all the right things to say ... my mind blocks are removed, my words no longer have to sift through a sieve or slog through the sand. I'm engaging, I'm sparkling, there's a bit of wisteria in my jump, and there is jump to my pep. Or, at least my definition of pep. Ahhh, to reminisce upon what it feels like to feel good. Everything is so much less scary. And I always denied my anxiety. But it's there. It peaks and it ebbs and it flows.
MadCurio

Postby Always_Question » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:27 am

It feels like all of a sudden I care about the environment and am curious about everyone around me, and I have all the right things to say ... my mind blocks are removed, my words no longer have to sift through a sieve or slog through the sand. I'm engaging, I'm sparkling

This is a superb description of part of how I feel when I am having a good day. Care, curiosity, interest in things, no mind blocks... I especially like your description of how "words no longer have to sift through a sieve or slog through the sand." On good days, I feel so quick and mentally healthy.

More often though, I have often thought of my thoughts as being in a bowl of soup. All my thoughts are there in the soup, but when I dip the ladle into the bowl to retrieve what I want, I get some what I want, but not all of it, and some things that don't even seem to be related. And the thoughts that I do get are not clear and can be difficult to express coherently. It is kind of comforting to know that it sounds like someone else experiences these same problems in thought processes during bad days.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone
If my post does not make sense, is too vague, or incoherent, ask for clarification if it would be helpful.

Dx's: Schizoaffective Disorder, Schizotypal PD, Boarderline traits, and Anxiety disorders
Rx: Gabapentin and Clonazepam.
Always_Question

Postby MadCurio » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:41 am

I love your bowl of soup analogy.
MadCurio

Postby Sid » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:48 pm

Feeling good for me is when I am driving down the highway alone in my car during the warmer weather with my windows open listening to whatever on the radio. I guess I am happiest when I am alone doing whatever I want without any care if I am acting the way I am supposed to or not. I enjoy my freedom when it is available.
Sid

Postby immortalitylost » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Medusa, so so sorry haven't been on here for a good long while. I feel a lot of my anxiety does come from not having this proverbial "manual". But then again, mayhapse it's just a question of me having the wrong manual. I may have social skills, but I'm too busy faking the social skills that everyone else seems to find so blasted important that I've no idea what they are or how vastly they differ from the norm.

And why am I typing in a British accent? Oh well...

MadCurio: "there's a bit of wisteria in my jump, and there is jump to my pep." I love this fragment of a sentence.

Always_question: Maybe the difference between the good days and the bad is whether it's alphabet soup or chicken noodle? I agree with MadCurio, love that analogy, very relatable.
"I learn a great deal by merely observing you, and letting you talk as long as you please, and taking note of what you do not say."
immortalitylost

Postby Sid » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:27 pm

"Maybe the difference between the good days and the bad is whether it's alphabet soup or chicken noodle? I agree with MadCurio, love that analogy, very relatable."

Lol! That's great!

Whatever it is that makes me feel good must depend on the day. Today I feel good because my jeans fit. I finally got new ones. The other ones were old and falling apart with holes. Yesterday I felt good because my poetry was well received at Literary Club at school and I got done with my lab early in human biology class. If nothing else makes me happy in life usually my cat will make me happy if he's not in a bad mood. I love that cat. He is sooo adorable. I think this is because I change my mind more than I change my socks. I can never have one thing that always works. This is just how I am I guess.

What is it like for me to feel good? Good feels like driving down the highway listening to Pat Benatar. Good feel like the rain during a t-storm in the summer. Good is being in front of a group of people reading my poetry to them and seeing their faces as they listen. I hope everyday is like this someday where I get to do these things. :)
Sid

Next

Return to Psychology, Philosophy & Spirituality