Welcome
Welcome to Schizotypal Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. Schizotypal Forum is a community and a place to discuss all kinds of things, including issues related to Schizotypal Personality Disorder. People with other disorders within the schizophrenic spectrum are also very welcome. Please join our community today.

Reality

Anything slightly odd, peculiar or weird - dive in!

Reality

Postby rviit » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Just a question. Does anyone else here have issue with this? Ie with reality, or with what they believe about it? For example, being unable to imagine that something you're looking atis actually there.
rviit

Re: Reality

Postby T.A. Anderson » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:55 pm

[quote="rviit"] Does anyone else here have issue with . . . reality?/quote]

These issues of reality and most everyone in it are what can cause one's head to spin. We know from physics that this is scant real matter out there to perceive. What we see and touch is the electromagnetism between particles. And then there is the matter of the people around us. Its seem as if a very high percentage of people are dissociating. Not like you, and not like me. These "normal" people really are schizoid. Trying to understand it all may be next to impossible. Some people just enjoy watching it and to some extent engaging it, without trying to understand it. Maybe someday the next Albert Einstein will come along and leap frog us to the next level of understanding.
T.A. Anderson

Postby rviit » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:46 pm

Not sure what you're trying to say, to be honest. I wasn't referring in any way to what you might call the human condition. Or making any other kind of pseudointellectual commentary. What I meant was, I'm not even sure what I believe. If anything.

If I look at the table in front of me and try to imagine it is actually there, I just cant. It doesn't look "unreal" or distans. It's like I had never thought about it before.
rviit

Postby Always_Question » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:46 pm

I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying Rviit. Is it like you see the table (or whatever), you know it is there, but the table might not be there? Or, that it is a new object that attracts some sudden unusual interest from you, like it is a new object?

Please, correct me if I misunderstand, I want to understand to see if I can give you an answer. I have had a few unusual perceptions and beliefs about reality in my life.
If my post does not make sense, is too vague, or incoherent, ask for clarification if it would be helpful.

Dx's: Schizoaffective Disorder, Schizotypal PD, Boarderline traits, and Anxiety disorders
Rx: Gabapentin and Clonazepam.
Always_Question

Postby rviit » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:16 pm

The table in question only server as an example, it can be literally anything. Or anyone, unfortunately... The best way of puttning it would be that I suddenly realize that I don't believe the object of attention is actually there. Like I have always assume that things are just what they seem, but then realize that I don't actually believe this.

Sorry if this sounds convoluted, I barely understand this myself. Thats why I'm writing this. That, and because it scares me in a way i can not describe...
rviit

Postby Always_Question » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:32 pm

I think I understand a little better now. I don't have much experience with this feeling, and when it does happen, it doesn't seem to bother me the way it does you.

It sounds like it comes on suddenly for you, is that right? For me, I think it is a feeling I usually have at a low level but is not distressing. Sometimes the feeling is stronger than other times, like when I start feeling dissociated. It is difficult to explain, sorry if I was just more confusing.
If my post does not make sense, is too vague, or incoherent, ask for clarification if it would be helpful.

Dx's: Schizoaffective Disorder, Schizotypal PD, Boarderline traits, and Anxiety disorders
Rx: Gabapentin and Clonazepam.
Always_Question

Postby Mim » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:07 am

rviit wrote:Just a question. Does anyone else here have issue with this? Ie with reality, or with what they believe about it? For example, being unable to imagine that something you're looking atis actually there.

I sometimes have these kinds of thoughts. I wonder if any of the things I perceive are actual. Sometimes I wonder if I am really locked in my head, misinterpreting things, or even hallucinating, having experiences that exist only for me. I'm not even always sure if I'm "really here," so to speak.

This is a slippery slope, for me. Very easy to lose faith in my own perceptions, and to start feeling paranoid that "reality" will squeeze me out like a watermelon seed if it does exist and my perception of it is false.

For the most part, I try to accept that, true or false, my perceptions are what they are, and since there doesn't seem to be much I can do about them, my best bet is just try to accept my "reality" as long as the way I perceived it doesn't make it hard for me to function in it.
Mim

Postby Goldstein » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Mim wrote:This is a slippery slope, for me. Very easy to lose faith in my own perceptions, and to start feeling paranoid that "reality" will squeeze me out like a watermelon seed if it does exist and my perception of it is false.

Said like that, I know the feeling.
Goldstein

Postby rviit » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:37 am

The worst thing about it is, it's not really "oh sh*t, what if so and so". It's more like realizing "oh sh*t, I actually believe so and so". Especially when the thoughts are about other people...

It's really is a slipper slope, like Mim said. I have no idea how to climb back up.
rviit

Postby Goldstein » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:46 pm

So is it more about people or object?
People, they can be avoided to some extent, for awhile. Objects is not really possible.
Goldstein

Next

Return to General discussion