Welcome
Welcome to Schizotypal Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. Schizotypal Forum is a community and a place to discuss all kinds of things, including issues related to Schizotypal Personality Disorder. People with other disorders within the schizophrenic spectrum are also very welcome. Please join our community today.

Reversed Sleep

Anything slightly odd, peculiar or weird - dive in!

Reversed Sleep

Postby Always_Question » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:40 am

Do you stay up all night and sleep during the day? Or, do you have a sleeping pattern that is different than most people?

When I am left to myself, my sleep pattern gets messed up.
If my post does not make sense, is too vague, or incoherent, ask for clarification if it would be helpful.

Dx's: Schizoaffective Disorder, Schizotypal PD, Boarderline traits, and Anxiety disorders
Rx: Gabapentin and Clonazepam.
Always_Question

Re: Reversed Sleep

Postby BenevoletAzdrubal » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I don't think I ever had reversed sleep but when I was younger (15~16 years old) I had phases when I only slept 3~4 hours a night and had more energy during the day than the energizer bunny. This would go for a couple of weeks at a time. It was awesome: I had powerful uber-high-quality alone time when everybody else was asleep and that -plus the extra energy- made me more patient/tolerant/less frustrated/anxious/annoyed with people and the world during the day.
Is it possible that you sleep during the day because you can feel more comfortable at night (because you don't have to deal with anyone since they are conveniently asleep)?
Another possibility (and maybe this is irrelevant in your case): I know a lot of acquaintances with our age (I'm 25, you are 27 according to your profile) who have reversed sleep... It could be an "age thing", not a "schizotypy thing"....
BenevoletAzdrubal

Postby Always_Question » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:33 am

It is possible that I am sleep during the day because it is more comfortable, or there is less anxiety. My mom recently asked me if I thought I would have the same sleeping patterns if everyone else were awake at night and slept during the day. I didn't have an answer to that one.

Like you said too it could be partly an age thing. When I was in college, some others in my age group commented that I had strange sleeping patterns. I don't know. I think it may be a combination of age and mental illness. I read that people with schizophrenia sometimes have reversed sleep patterns.

On a related note, I have heard that schizotypal personality disorder produces fewer symptoms with age, or at least it is less disabling. My mother and I share many of the same symptoms, and she has told me it has gotten better with age. Does anyone have any more info on that kind of thing, confirming or denying?
If my post does not make sense, is too vague, or incoherent, ask for clarification if it would be helpful.

Dx's: Schizoaffective Disorder, Schizotypal PD, Boarderline traits, and Anxiety disorders
Always_Question

Postby sevenyearnight » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Sometimes they get worse.
sevenyearnight

Postby Mim » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:06 am

My sleep schedule has always been messed up, as far as I can remember. I've been a night owl for a long time; I used to have trouble getting up when I went to school. I have bipolar II, too, which messes with my sleep habits. Sometimes I sleep 12-14 hours, others only 3-4. It's pretty spastic.

As for whether it gets better or worse, I've gotten worse as I've aged (I'm coming up on 29 in another few weeks), but I don't have anyone else to compare it to, and the psych I see hasn't said anything about it to me. Maybe I'll ask, and if she has an answer I'll come back and report.
Mim

Postby Always_Question » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks, Mim.

Your sleeping patterns sound a lot like mine since I was a young teen.

I just had another couple rough nights. I often skip sleep when I know I am meeting someone the next day, probably from anxiety. I keep inside the house, away from people when I can help it. Do you think anxiety plays a role in your sleep issues?

Always_Question

Postby Mim » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:47 am

Always_Question wrote:Thanks, Mim.

Sure. Hopefully the doc has something useful to say. She's pretty sharp generally. I don't see her til the 25th though, sorry. :/

Always_Question wrote: I often skip sleep when I know I am meeting someone the next day, probably from anxiety. I keep inside the house, away from people when I can help it. Do you think anxiety plays a role in your sleep issues?

Definitely. If I have something to do the next day, sometimes I can't get to sleep, and when I do it's restless. Sometimes, if something's on my mind when I wake up, or if something's happened (like I can hear my sister talking with other people, or I've missed a phone call, or something equally anxiety-provoking), I have to force myself out of bed, otherwise I'll just lie there and basically hide out. Ugh.

I'm a recluse, too. I don't go out of the house during the day if I can avoid it at all. I like to go walking at night, and if I have to do shopping for myself I'd rather do it then, even though it limits my options since a lot of places are closed when I like to be awake.
Mim

Postby rhoneychu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 pm

You might check with you doc to check for a sleep disorder(ie: circadian rhythm disorder).
OCD/StPD/MDD
rhoneychu

Postby Marybee » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:50 am

Yes, my sleep is reversed and has been since I was a teenager. I'm 56 now! For me it's a circadian rhythm disorder, DSPS, Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. Try looking up Circadian Rhythm Disorders and see if any of them fit for you.
Marybee

Postby Rat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:16 am

My sleep has always been difficult to deal with already back when I was a kid, it's been better since I started on an anxiety medication that has made me tired, but it still gets reversed often, it has been lately. For a while during school I decided to sleep twice a day for four hours instead of once a day 8 hours since it helped against insomnia and anxiety. I could no longer do that since I started on my anxiety medication though.

I think it has to do with anxiety and wanting to avoid being alone with my thoughts so I want to wait until I'm so tired I'll fall asleep instantly.

Lying in bed being unable to sleep is painful.
And, bit by bit, he became less confident.
Rat

Next

Return to General discussion